if you were given the option to live anonymously amongst strangers, entwined by the diversity yet focused on one's bliss, would you not grasp on to it forever? There are unlimited possibilities if you choose to explore beyond your comfort zone. Adverse changes that are worth experiencing. A phase worth embracing. An emotional liberation. The silence that I've always longed for. This is Me. An Anonymous in Oz.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

5 years ago..

5 years ago, I boarded the plane from Manila bound for Aotearoa (New Zealand) via Singapore.

On the 19th of March, due to the aircraft’s technical problems (Gab remember this one? ), I had to stay in Singapore for a day. I guess it was a good way of ending my Singapore chapter as well, working there for less than a year. It served as my stepping stone. It worked as a good pit stop. It helped solidify the ME. It made me understand what I wanted and what I needed. All of that, I brought with me to New Zealand.

Kia Ora, the immigration officer greeted me.

My sister was standing outside. Hugged her. Autumn wind was blowing. We had a toast that night. I started work the following day.

That was 5 years ago. How time flies. I’ve been to places & continents, out and about. Climbed so many mountains. Dived a few seas. Played in a few pubs. Danced in a few clubs. Made good friends and extended families. Rode my bike and watched sunsets. Clicked my camera and captured moments. Watched friends & sister get married and start a new chapter. Casted a fishing rod and enjoyed a snapper for dinner. Shared a lot of coffee/tea moments with good mates. Pitched a tent somewhere where I found silence. Done long joy rides to keep the sanity alive. Puffed a few shishas. Welcomed friends from afar and shared my new Zealand. Started my project of creating a demo cd. Laughed, cried, went through heart aches, woke up with hangovers….

Looking back, I’ll be boarding a plane to New Zealand again. Same time frame.

Had the Sydney opportunity not come along, I would have been boarding a plane bound for Manila instead, via Singapore. Staying in my beloved country for 2 months.

But then…..life has a funny way of twisting things around. (sounds like Ironic of Alanis)

They say everything happens for a reason.. cliché.

They say we are where we are supposed to be…. Cliché.

Let’s see……but for now…and as for this email….. I’d like to say Thank you (with all of my heart) –

- To the people here in OZ who helped me through the last 3 months whilst adjusting in Sydney. For being there. For listening. For the chats & laughter. For the company. For the music. For the roadtrip.
- To the people back in NZ & Manila (my family and friends) who knows me all too well, most especially my moods. For being so supportive. For looking after me, despite the distance.
- To the people back in Singapore, for checking on me…and for the deep conversations …which I so appreciate

No comments:

Post a Comment