if you were given the option to live anonymously amongst strangers, entwined by the diversity yet focused on one's bliss, would you not grasp on to it forever? There are unlimited possibilities if you choose to explore beyond your comfort zone. Adverse changes that are worth experiencing. A phase worth embracing. An emotional liberation. The silence that I've always longed for. This is Me. An Anonymous in Oz.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Passion

I watched him hold on to the portafilter with intimate finesse. He explained the art of “Coffee making” with passion. It’s amazing how the age of the beans mattered so much, such that the spot on day would make a big difference for a customer’s coffee experience. And I guess at the end of the day, that’s what matters.

For the past years, coffee has played a big role in our society. It entwines the social catch-ups with the caffeine addict-workaholic mania as well. Long queues can be seen along the Sydney alleys. People rushing about, holding on to their coffee, treating it as their everyday drug that satisfies their need to be up and awake through the day.

I’m not really a big coffee lover due to my high acidity. Years ago I wouldn’t pass a day without one. But now I’ve learned to control my hunger for caffeine. However, regardless of one’s state, I dared to pursue my nudging desire to learn coffee making. Actually, it’s been so long overdue already.

And so, last night… was my first time to attend a Barista class.  Perhaps another option for me when I retire.

There’s apparently a lot of artistry along with it. Yes, it’s simple to grind the beans and tamp the granules with enough pressure. But, listening and watching someone with the passion of meticulously doing the proper and precise movement, was rather inspiring for me. And true to his word, we did see the difference in crema, colour and taste with each wrong tamping, overfill, underfill, etc. that we did. He also discussed the effect of humidity, etc.

Okay, from a more general perspective… going back to what I’m getting on with…

….. is ….. PASSION.

I remember my Dad telling us when we were kids. IF you’re going to do something/task, make sure you do your best. Well, if you top it up with the mix of passion… then definitely the results would be superb.

Passion is the beautiful articulation of commitment and artistry to one’s skill/gift. And our instructor last night reminded me of that. It’s not just pouring coffee and serving it to a caffeine addict. IT’s the experience they endure through their last sip of that coffee that is wholly derived from a passionate barista’s effort to produce a superb one.

1 comment:

  1. What a great experience. I want to try this too. Gosh, pareho talaga tayo, missy - thinking of being a barista too. :)

    ReplyDelete