if you were given the option to live anonymously amongst strangers, entwined by the diversity yet focused on one's bliss, would you not grasp on to it forever? There are unlimited possibilities if you choose to explore beyond your comfort zone. Adverse changes that are worth experiencing. A phase worth embracing. An emotional liberation. The silence that I've always longed for. This is Me. An Anonymous in Oz.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

First Time in The Sando

I didn’t know what to expect. I had to gulp the anticipation and nervous feelings down. I got off the bus and walked to the Sandringham Hotel – or better well known as “The Sando”.

The stage was to the left of the door. A girl and guy were playing when I came in. The audience was quiet and attentively listening. I liked the vibe. 

I got my fave Stella Artois and found a corner with my guitar. The girls’ voice was lovely and the guys’ guitar skills were entertaining. The pool table was at the back end of the room, which was good coz it didn’t bother the performers at all.

The next performer was one of the regulars. His white hair glistened under the lights as he played on stage. I enjoyed his grooves and music. A few love songs and one about his travels. Jade joined in and did some harmonies with him. Definitely cool, had me tapping my feet to the rhythm.

I was next.

Plugged in my guitar and got introduced. I guess the Stella and the Heini helped a lot to soften up the nervous veins and minimize the shyness. I told the crowd that was my first open mic in Sydney…in Australia for that matter.

I started slow and quiet with my song Smoking Ashes. An original written about a nice of catching up with my best mate in New Zealand. That was a good warm up for me to start the night.

Next was a personal fave of mine, I’ve entitled Sanctuary. Inspired by one of my road trip moments whilst in South Island, NZ.

And the last one,..Save Me. I closed my eyes and let my fingers do the tapping and strumming, as I slowly got lost in the music. (I had to do a cover song after that one though)

There is so much beauty in music. The passion relives its moments when you allow the notes and the emotions flow in through the rhythm. The voices of one’s soul reserved and epitomized in each melody… the best way to harmonize the feelings.

I stayed for a while and listened to the next performer. Loved her voice and was impressed by the guys’ guitar skills.

I left happy and contented… glad that I got a lot of feedback from a few of the audiences that night & glad to have heard and be part of the Sydney’s Muso’s world….

I guess this goes out to all of those people out there with “passion” for the arts, music, painting, writing. Etc…

Strive to make it part of your life and don’t ever put it aside. Breaks are acceptable.

For me, all I know is…music defines me. It has and always will be.

So Cheers to all the Muso’s out there!

Rock on!!

1 comment: