if you were given the option to live anonymously amongst strangers, entwined by the diversity yet focused on one's bliss, would you not grasp on to it forever? There are unlimited possibilities if you choose to explore beyond your comfort zone. Adverse changes that are worth experiencing. A phase worth embracing. An emotional liberation. The silence that I've always longed for. This is Me. An Anonymous in Oz.

Monday, January 3, 2011

That Was, and Is to be

I listened to the haunting sound of the harmonica and thought to myself at that very moment about all of the ideas and realizations I’ve been having for the past weeks. From afar I watched the gentleman place his lips on that small instrument and play. It was the same tune he performed on Christmas Day. That was just 5 days ago.

I wake up to mornings with the sound of a local bird yet to be researched as I haven’t familiarized myself with the Ozzie fauna. It would always be a distinctive call from outside my window as I stare at the dancing branches of my neighbours’ tree. It’s amazing how I’ve quickly blended in. My flexibility seemed to have peaked, perhaps a result from my collection of travels. On my fourth week, I’ve immediately attuned myself to my local suburb and established fave spots to make it homey for me.

There has been this silence for the past few days. I can’t even describe it. Maybe this is what they call peace of mind. Despite my shortage of funds and need to budget even the slightest expense, I still look around me and smile in gratitude. Every day when I get out of work and walk along Martin Place, listening to the buskers…. I carry that smile with me. I am full of Appreciation for this opportunity, support from my family and for the people who have helped me during my first few weeks, old and new friends and most especially those who I’ve tagged as my “angels in disguise”.

For how long can I sustain that smile is another whole dimension of “settling in” this society..possibly a question that I’m not ready to dwell in. I would say it’s all a matter of choice. For now, I’d like to enjoy this phase.

So how did I start this journey? What is there that I haven’t really written about that I don’t even know where to begin?

The first 2 weeks happened so fast. I arrived December 5, a Sunday. I Found myself lodged by my employer in the Northern part of Sydney, safe and posh, living up to its reputation.

Every morning I would catch the bus and stare at the beauty of the Opera House as we cross the Harbour Bridge. Wynyard Station has served as my focal point. The sound of my heels on the same sidewalk blended in with the hurried steps of other corporate employees.

I eventually learned the art of painting my face, or what they call “make-up”. Some days I still can’t believe that I’ve got myself getting used to it. The mascara, eyelash curler, lipstick, foundation and blush-on. Hey, a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do right? Again, pinch me. I’m in Sydney. Long gone are the days when I could just put my hair up, wear my comfy worn-out sneakers and feel relaxed in my jeans. This time I have to wear my suite or office attire, 5 days a week. And that means punishing my feet with heels. All for the sake of fashion. One night it ended up all bruised, and an angel in disguise was so kind enough to kneel and place band-aids on my wounds.

For days I stressed looking for a flat. In retrospect, it took me a while to accept the fact that rental is ridiculously expensive in Sydney. I guess I should have asked the agents to Pinch Me as a reminder. I was supposed to have shared a flat with a family, which did not work out the way I expected it to. What’s funny about it was, I already pictured myself living in that house, looking forward to the funky eccentric design. My plans of moving out that 2nd weekend turned out to be an extension in the place where I was staying in. Don’t ask me how much they charged for that. They had me booked only till Christmas Eve. From then on I booked myself in a hostel in downtown.

Although I’ve had this realization in the past, from time and time again, there will always be the same episode that would make you go, “yup, here we go again”. When circumstances change out of your control and things don’t work the way you want it to, acceptance plays a major role and all you can do is have faith that there’s something else in store for you. It just doesn’t apply in major crossroads. I have adopted that kind of thinking on a daily basis, believing that things happen for a reason. Sometimes it takes a while though.

Survival. It has always been the key. I didn’t have enough time nor energy to dwell on what didn’t work out although I admit I got pissed off with that owner. All I knew was I had to find a place before new year. Settle in and chill from the stress of scouting for a flat. I ended up in a different suburb, Between 4-6 km southwest of CBD. In a span of a week and a half , I’ve learned to love the area. I’ve known it to be Forest Lodge, but apparently is widely identified as Glebe.

I’ve now found the local Video rental shop just a few meters from my place. The caretaker has started to recognize me now. Perhaps my frequent visits retained my face in his memory. Well, the DVD’s has kept me company this holiday season.  I’ve also found myself my fave pub, The Stables. Just a hundred meters from my place too. On a hot sunny day when I’m up for a long walk from the other side of Glebe, I would get off the bus early and stop by the Stables. Grab myself a beer (the beer of the month is the cheapest), and find myself a spot away from the noisy crowd who would endlessly talk about sports. There in the corner, I would gulp my booze and read on my stuff.

To do groceries I would usually walk 2 km to the closest supermarket. I’ve tried different routes back and forth. One side you’ll see the beautiful University of Sydney, the other side you’ll enjoy the stroll along the café and bookshop culture along Glebe Pt. Road. Today I found myself an amazing coffee bookshop. 

I’ve slowly learned to feel safe and comfortable in this area of Glebe. For the next 6 months this will serve as home. I’ve filled in my flat with the stuff that I want to have and go home to. A few things second hand, a few from boxing day sales and a coffee table that I’ve sneakily collected from my neighbours’ garbage collection. Haha. Of course, I couldn’t stop myself from buying candles too (oops).

My dream is slowly materializing. The picture that I’ve placed in my mind a year ago is now shaping to be my life. There has been so many things that I’ve listed to remind myself about the plans I’ve put in place for me as part of this journey. All I need to do is to put my heart, mind and soul into it. Not allowing anyone to spoil even a fraction of what I’m building right now. I describe this to be my bubble. And I hope I can keep it that way for now. Until the self-improvement phase that I want to achieve has culminated.

Right now, I hold on to the silence. I guess I can also call it the state of contentment and happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment